When considering whether or not to hire a divorce lawyer, it is important that both spouses weigh up all the options and figure out what is best, depending on their personal and financial circumstances.
Negotiating divorce without a lawyer
Divorce is a deeply complicated and emotional legal process. That being said, not all couples require in-depth court assistance to end their marriage. If you and your spouse are in agreement about what you want for your family, you may be able to negotiate a divorce settlement without a lawyer’s assistance.
Not hiring a divorce lawyer means that you and your spouse will have to discuss each of your ideal outcomes for spousal maintenance, child maintenance, visitation, and property division. If you find that you are on the same page and are both willing to put your agreement in writing, you might be able to avoid spending time and money on a divorce lawyer. However, even couples who are in agreement may come into conflict along the way, so you may still have to consider using a mediator.
Advantages of hiring a divorce lawyer
- A divorce lawyer can help you process the legal documents. They can walk you through and help you complete all the necessary paperwork in order to make sure that you are following the steps accordingly.
- Divorce lawyers can find hidden assets. They can also help find any hidden assets or anything that your spouse was keeping from you during your marriage.
- Your divorce lawyer can help you to negotiate with your spouse’s lawyer. They can also work to negotiate with your spouse’s lawyer so that you can avoid conflict as much as possible during the proceedings.
- Divorce lawyers can answer any legal queries that you may have along the way. They can also assist you to ensure that you make the best decisions for your particular case.
- They can help you analyse and evaluate settlement offers.
- They can help you with other areas of family law that correlate to your divorce, for instance, child maintenance.
Disadvantages of hiring a divorce lawyer
- Hiring a divorce lawyer may cause unwanted conflicted between you and your spouse. If you blindside him/her by hiring a divorce lawyer without warning, this may lead to arguments throughout the divorce process.
- Divorce lawyers may not always have your best interests in mind. You must ensure that you find the right one, someone who is dedicated to assist you with your needs and guide you throughout the process.
- Hiring a lawyer is often expensive, especially if the divorce becomes a messy and prolonged process (however, hiring a good lawyer may well be worth the price).
See related resource: What are good divorce lawyers?